An H-1B Visa is not an immigration Visa but an alien visa that allows a foreign person to live and work in the United States for a specific employer. The employer is considered the sponsor. This is a good way for American companies to obtain legal foreign labor for specific industries.

 The H-1B Visa is only for occupations that require at least a 4-year college degree. This allows companies to get the skilled help they need, especially if it is simply not available in their area. Here are the steps that must be taken to obtain an H-1B Visa for an employee.

1.    Employer Files A Labor Condition Application

The sponsoring company must file an LCA with the Department Of Labor. This application is required to disclose wages and working conditions.

2.    Form I-29 Petition

This is the formal petition to request a worker be granted a VISA. Employers declare their need and desire to hire this person and commit to being the sponsor for a specific period as long as employment performance is satisfactory. Upon approval, the foreign worker can apply for the Visa personally.

3.    Pay Fees

There are fees associated with obtaining a visa. This fee is required for each Visa requested.

4.    H1-B Visa Personal Application

The foreign worker must apply themselves for the Visa. Asonye & Associates can help arrange the documents needed to make sure the process of applying for the Visa goes smoothly.

5.    Exemptions And Medical Professionals.

Specific professions such as those in the medical field face special regulations and rules to ensure they are qualified to practice medicine in the United States. This visa is for those that are entering residency programs. A 2-year residency in their native country after training is required but can sometimes be waived. If you need a J1 waiver in Chicago, then contact us for the help you need with this difficult process. There are other visa options available for medical staff.

Streamlining The Process


An attorney with experience in immigration law can save you a lot of time and money when it comes to getting a Visa. Asonye & Associates have experience in all immigration and visa matters. As a top deportation law firm in Chicago, we make sure that you get the help you need.