Student (F-1) Visas

F-1 Student Visas - Requirements and Filing Process

Student visas provide legal means for foreign nationals to study in the U.S. There are two student categories.  The student that wishes to pursue academic studies, and/or language programs (F-1), and the student who wishes to pursue nonacademic or vocational studies (M-1).

Read Current News:  Recent H-1B Visa Cap-Gap and OPT Developments F-1 STEM Extensions

General Requirements:

  • The student must be enrolled in a program
  • The school must be USCIS approved
  • The student must be enrolled full-time
  • The student must be proficient in English, or enrolled in classes that will lead to English proficiency
  • The student must maintain residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up

May 2006-DOS issues new guidelines to U.S. consulates on student visa processing.